What is Auto Assign UPC?
Auto Assign UPC, SuiteApp automatically assigns UPC codes to inventory, assembly, inventory matrix, and assembly matrix items. In addition, it enables you to create, remove, and manage UPC codes. The SuiteApp lists all assigned UPC codes and tracks their date of assignment and retirement. The UPC code record is linked to the item record for convenience.
Now the question arises, what is SuiteApp?
SuiteSolutions save time and money in the implementation process, or provide flexibility for existing NetSuite customers by augmenting NetSuite’s core functionality to meet scaling business needs.
Before using a Solution, we must we must know what it offers you:
This SuiteApp enables you to:
- Set custom preferences that determine the status of new items and their UPC code assignment options.
- Create UPC codes manually or through CSV import.
- Automate UPC code assignment on item records daily or based on your preferred schedule using the AAUPC MR Auto Assign UPC script.
- Automate UPC code retirement from child matrix item records if their corresponding parent matrix item records are deleted using the AAUPC MR Retire UPC Without Items script daily.
- Exclude items from automatic code assignment and lets you assign UPC code to item records manually.
- Remove UPC codes from an item record.
- Manage UPC code assignments through the following default saved searches
- UPC Codes Assigned by System Today
- UPC Codes not in Use o Items Needing UPC Code
- All Assigned UPC Codes with Item
Working with Auto Assign UPC
- Setting Custom Auto Assign UPC Preferences
- Assigning UPC Codes
- Viewing UPC Codes
- Retire UPC Codes Without Items Script Deployment
- Removing UPC Codes
Setting Up Auto Assign UPC
STEP 1: Installing the SuiteApp
To install and set up this SuiteApp, you must be logged in as an Administrator.
To install this SuiteApp: NAVIGATION: Customization > SuiteBundler > Search & Install Bundles.
- Bundle Name: Auto Assign UPC
- Bundle ID: 316640
- Version number: 1.00.0
- Availability: Beta
3. Click Install
- As soon as the Bundle gets Installed a Custom record UPC Code is Formed. One can Navigate to the Custom Record through the following Navigation:
- List -> Custom -> UPC Code
- Following is the Custom Record that is created.
- All the UPC codes can be Uploaded through CSV import:
To enable the feature, you must be logged in as an Administrator.
To enable the feature: NAVIGATION: Setup > Company > Setup Tasks > Enable Features
2. Under Items, check the following:
- Matrix Items
- Bar Coding and Item Labels
- Check this box to automatically generate a bar code for each item and transaction, as well as be able to print bar code labels for each item.
STEP 3: Setting Custom Auto Assign UPC Preferences
The Auto Assign UPC SuiteApp lets you set custom preferences that will determine status of an item and the UPC code assignment option for that item.
The changes will only apply to items created after setting up the custom Auto Assign UPC preferences.
You should not change the preferences once set.
To set the custom Auto Assign UPC preferences: NAVIGATE: Go to Setup > Company > General Preferences.
- Click the Custom Preferences sub tab.
- Under the Auto Assign UPC sub tab, check the boxes as required.
Automatically Assign UPC to New Item – If you check this box, the new items will be included for automatic UPC code assignment.
- Click Save.
Assigning UPC Codes
You can assign UPC codes manually or configure items for automatic UPC code assignment by running the AAUPC MR Auto Assign UPC Script.
To automatically assign a UPC code:
NAVIGATION: Lists > Accounting > Items > New
4. Enter information in the available sub tubs as necessary and click Save.
5. Click OK.
To manually assign a UPC code to an item:
2. Enter a code in the UPC Code field.
Viewing UPC Codes
To view the list of all UPC codes, go to Lists > Custom > UPC Code
The UPC Code List page displays imported and manually created UPC codes. You can view them all but modify only those with an Unused status.
The status of an UPC code can be one of the following:
In Use – Code that is assigned to an item.
Unused – Code that is available for assignment.
Retired – Code that is either removed from an item or the item using it was deleted.
Auto Assign UPC Script Deployment
As part of the default settings, the system will run the AAUPC MR Auto Assign UPC script once a day at 5AM Pacific Time (UTC-8:00). To schedule the script submission as per your requirements.
To manually run the script:
NAVIGATION: Customization > Scripting > Script Deployment
1. From the Script column, find AAUPC MR Auto Assign UPC.
2. Click Edit.
3. In the Status field, set the field value to Not Scheduled.
4. Click the Parameters sub tab.
5. To receive a summary of the UPC Code assignment updates in a specific email address, check the Email Summary Results box.
6. Enter the email address in the Email Summary Results To field to which the results will be sent.
7. To receive a summary of the UPC assignment updates only when there are results, check the No Email If No Results box.
8. Click Save and Execute to run the script.
9. On the Map/Reduce Script Status page, click Refresh to verify the status of the script. The Status column displays Complete after the script has finished running.
Retire UPC Codes Without Items Script Deployment
The AAUPC MR Retire UPC Without Items script retires UPC codes from a child matrix item record when the corresponding parent matrix item record is deleted.
By default, the script will run once in a day at 4:00 a.m. Pacific Time (UTC–08:00).
To schedule the script submission as per your requirements.
Removing UPC Codes
When you remove a UPC code from an item, the code status is set to Retired.
To remove a UPC code:
1. Open the item record.
2. Click Edit.
3. In the UPC Code Assignment field, select Remove UPC Code.
6. Click OK.
Written by Mousumi Dass, including Advantages and Limitations.
1. Capture Universal Product Code (UPC) information.
2. Automatically assign the UPC codes to the designated inventory items.
3. View UPC Codes and the related items.
1. The solution can assign a maximum of 4000 UPC Codes at a time
2. The SuiteApp does not keep track of the UPC codes that are created manually.
3. For a parent matrix item, you must not change the UPC code assignment option if UPC codes are already assigned to its corresponding child items.
4. All standard SuiteCloud usage and governance limits apply.